CLOSURES IN RELATION TO HURRICANE MATTHEW
The Governor has ordered the mandatory evacuation of all areas east of I-95. Beginning October 6 at noon, properties such as Penholloway Swamp WMA, Sansavilla WMA and Sapelo Island WMA will not be staffed for hunts until weather conditions permit such activities to resume.
NORTHWEST GEORGIA (Region 1)
Storm damage has created some road issues on Cohutta WMA (see map). The Cohutta Ranger District reports the following issues: temporary gates installed just past Three Forks trailhead and just below Barnes Creek falls. You can get on top of the moutain, but will have to come in from Crandall (FSR 630) or Cisco (FSR 17) and go back out the same way. Vehicles hauling trailers greater than 15 feet beyond Hickey Gap campground are discouraged.
CCC Road is closed (from Emory Creek Parking area to Boatright Valley) due to a rockslide (12-29-15).
USFS Landslide Closure Letter
Rocky Flats Road (FS 630D) is closed due to storm damage and will re-open when repairs are completed.
- Zahnd WMA: (posted 9-1-16): South Cedar Lane Gate:
- If Gate is open: Drive through to WMA parking area and sign-in kiosk on state-owned land.
- If Gate is closed, but not locked: You may Open gate and drive through to WMA parking area and sign-in kiosk on state-owned land.
- If Gate is closed and locked: Contact the GA DNR Game Management Office at 706-295-6041 to report it. WMA users also may park along the road (on state-owned land), being careful to avoid blocking through access for residents and other WMA users. WMA users are allowed to travel along the easement of the road through private land.
NORTHEAST GEORGIA (Region 2)
EAST CENTRAL GEORGIA (Region 3)
WEST CENTRAL GEORGIA (Region 4)
- Beaverdam WMA: Several bottomland roads at Beaverdam WMA will be closed until flood waters of Oconee River recede and roads are suitable for traffic. These roads include Boat Landing Road; Three Bridges Road (closed at first bridge); and the swamp road between Three Bridges Road and Boat Landing Road.
- Clybel WMA (Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center):
- The 50-yard range is closed on educational Range Days - More information here.
- West Point WMA: The gate by the Edwards Rd Campground on West Point WMA will be closed until further notice due to a logging operation in progress.
SOUTHWEST GEORGIA (Region 5)
- Chickasawhatchee WMA: Flat Loop Bridge remains closed, but is under construction. Alternative routes have been established. Please see linked map for details.
SOUTHEAST GEORGIA (Region 6)
COASTAL GEORGIA (Region 7)
Sapelo Island WMA: Upgrades to the Sapelo Hunt Camp dock at Moses Hammock are in progress. Dock access is available but docking space is limited and stream anchoring will likely be required during quota hunts until upgrades are complete. Please come prepared to stream anchor if necessary. Questions? Call WRD Region office at 912-262-3173.
WMAs along Altamaha River: Roads within WMAs along the Altamaha River may be flooded and impassable. Proceed with caution and do not drive a vehicle into deep water. These roads may not be gated or listed as closed. Access to the McGowan Lake tract (Altamaha WMA) is limited and access to the lake is closed due to road damage by the rising water levels.