FIRE RESTRICTIONS LIFTED
- As of Dec. 7, 2016, DNR Wildlife Resources Division has lifted the campfire restriction put in place in late October on state-operated WMAs and PFAs.
- The U.S. Forest Service has lifted the forest-wide fire restriction provision in effect on the Chattahoochee and Oconee national forests since Nov. 8, 2016. Forest visitors are urged to use caution when building and maintaining campfires, and to always put out fires completely so that they are cool to the touch. Even with recent rains, however, national forests in Georgia remain in drought status. Campfire safety tips . WMAs on national forests include Cohutta, Johns Mountain, Rich Mountain, Blue Ridge, Chattahoochee, Chestatee, Coopers Creek, Lake Russell, Swallow Creek, Warwoman, Redlands and Cedar Creek.
NORTHWEST GEORGIA (Region 1)
Storm damage has created some road issues on Cohutta WMA (see map ). The Cohutta Ranger District reports the following issues: temporary gates installed just past Three Forks trailhead and just below Barnes Creek falls. You can get on top of the moutain, but will have to come in from Crandall (FSR 630) or Cisco (FSR 17) and go back out the same way. Vehicles hauling trailers greater than 15 feet beyond Hickey Gap campground are discouraged.
CCC Road is closed (from Emory Creek Parking area to Boatright Valley) due to a rockslide (12-29-15).
USFS Landslide Closure Letter
Rocky Flats Road (FS 630D) is closed due to storm damage and will re-open when repairs are completed.
- Pine Log WMA : Due to the current fire hazard, the gates at Pine Log WMA will be closed on Monday (Nov. 21, 2016) and will remain closed until the next scheduled hunt (Dec. 7-10).
- Zahnd WMA : (posted 10-28-16): Access to the parking area and kiosk at Zahnd WMA from South Cedar Lane is temporarily closed. Limited roadside parking is available near the end of the pavement on South Cedar Lane. Please keep vehicles out of the roadway. WMA users also may use the parking area on top of the mountain on Highway 157. Hunters can reach an alternate kiosk location from the Intersection of Hwy. 157 and Dougherty Gap Rd., travel on Hwy 157 north for 4.5 miles. Parking area and kiosk information will be on (left) west side of highway or hunters can check-in online here .
NORTHEAST GEORGIA (Region 2)
EAST CENTRAL GEORGIA (Region 3)
WEST CENTRAL GEORGIA (Region 4)
SOUTHWEST GEORGIA (Region 5)
- Chickasawhatchee WMA : Flat Loop Bridge remains closed, but is under construction. Alternative routes have been established. Please see linked map for details.
SOUTHEAST GEORGIA (Region 6)
Beaverdam WMA : Several bottomland roads at Beaverdam WMA will be closed until flood waters of Oconee River recede and roads are suitable for traffic. These roads include Boat Landing Road; Three Bridges Road (closed at first bridge); and the swamp road between Three Bridges Road and Boat Landing Road.
Big Hammock WMA : Gates are currently closed due to flooding (posted Jan.18, 2017).
Grand Bay WMA :
- The Federal Gate located off Hwy. 221 will be closed until further notice due to facilities construction.
- Due to military training needs on the federally owned portion (Hwy. 221 tract) of Grand Bay WMA, that section will be closed to public access on the following dates:2016-17
COASTAL GEORGIA (Region 7)
Richmond Hill WMA : Shooting Range closed (through Wed. Jan. 25, 2017) due to flooding and damage to entrance road.
Sapelo Island WMA : Upgrades to the Sapelo Hunt Camp dock at Moses Hammock are in progress. Dock access is available but docking space is limited and stream anchoring will likely be required during quota hunts until upgrades are complete. Please come prepared to stream anchor if necessary. Questions? Call WRD Region office at 912-262-3173.
WMAs along Altamaha River: Roads within WMAs along the Altamaha River may be flooded and impassable. Proceed with caution and do not drive a vehicle into deep water. These roads may not be gated or listed as closed. Access to the McGowan Lake tract (Altamaha WMA) is limited and access to the lake is closed due to road damage by the rising water levels.
 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/hunting/wma/pdfs/WMA_News/Cohutta FireUpdate HuntInfo 11-23.pdf
 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/hunting/wma/pdfs/WMA_News/Cohutta Map Hunt Closure 11-23.pdf
 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/hunting/wma/pdfs/CohuttaRangerDistrict road closures 2016_version 2.pdf
 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/hunting/wma/pdfs/CohuttaWMA Landslide Update 8_26_2016.pdf
 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/hunting/wma/pdfs/WMARoadClosure-DawsonForestGate 2016-17.pdf
 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/hunting/wma/pdfs/WMARoadClosure-DawsonForestTrail 2016-17.pdf
 http://georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/maps/wma/region4/Clybel WMA Line 2016 - Update.pdf
 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/maps/wma/region5/Chickasawhatchee_WMA_Line Sept2012.pdf
 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/maps/wma/region5/Elmodel_WMA_Line Sept2012.pdf
 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/hunting/wma/pdfs/WMARoadClosureGBWMA 2016-17.pdf